Friday 12 February 2016

Travel tidbits

A collection of pinch-me moments, things that have made me smile, wonder, feel thankful...etc.

  • When I got to the reception desk at my hostel in Copenhagen and was greeted with "Kia Ora".
  • The moment when I was sitting on the bank of the Rhine, with 4 new hostel friends from across the globe, sippping Riesling and staring at the magnificent, lit-up Kolner Dom Cathedral, thinking "this is what travel is all about".
  • When I got to my empty hostel room when I first arrived in London, started unpacking a few things and a little voice said "Hello there" from under the sheets of the bed opposite. She'd just arrived after a long-haul flight, much like myself and was already wondering if she'd made a mistake moving over here. Thus followed a long conversations about our worries and doubts and the beginning of a great friendship between Nicole and I. 
  • Eating at a Jamie Oliver restaurant.
  • The kindness of strangers when I struggled with my heavy bags when I first arrived in London. 
  • When Colleen, Nicole and I went for High Tea in London and Colleen (the obnoxious American lol) complained about the service and got us the whole thing for free!
  • Chatting with the Canadian guide of the bike tour I went on in Amsterdam and discovering he'd lived in Havelock North for 5 years. What are the chances!
  • When Nicole and I couldn't stop staring at the most beautiful boy we'd ever seen on the tube, and cracked up for ages afterwards.
  • Discovering a fondness for Haggis in Edinburgh.
  • Seeing something IRL that I'd just finished reading about, in the Rijks Museum in Amsterdam.
  • Walking the streets of London with two friends from Palmerston North.
  • The fact that I've done all my travels completely on my own. Turns out I have a better sense of direction than I thought I did!
  • I now have friends in Chicago, Rio de Janiero, Perth, Hobart, Texas, LA, Sao Paulo and many in England.
Outside Christ Church College at Oxford University. I looooooove Oxford.

There are so many more tidbits, but I'll save some for later :)
xx

2 comments:

  1. Love, love, LOVE! I'm so glad you're living out one of your dreams! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. warm fuzzies inside my heart for you :) xx

    ReplyDelete